Oh, Canada: Part I

1:58 PM Unknown 1 Comments

I am in Canada!! Did you get the email from my mission president? They had all of us write letters on little slips of paper that they would send to our families. It was super nice :) I thought we'd be able to email you that day, but sadly no :( So hopefully you got that other one so you weren't worried! The flight went smoothly, but the most glorious moment was when we got to go to bed!! Everyone in the group of new missionaries was so exhausted and I could not keep my eyes open! 


{the handwritten letter from Sister Robinson the night she arrived in Canada}


The next day, we met our trainers!! Mine is named sister Hatch. She's from a small town called Fallon, Nevada. She's super cool! Way chill, and easy to get along with. So no worries there! But she's doing a great job as a trainer too :) I ask her all my stupid questions, and she never once as treated them as stupid questions! Haha. But yeah, I really like her and I'm sure we'll be friends long after our missions. 

{Sister Hatch & Sister Robinson}


So we were assigned to the Clareview area! It looks just like Utah without the giant mountains, and it just feels like I'm in a ghetto area. There is a lot a lot a lot of diversity! A bit of a shock to me! Haha. But it really doesn't feel like I'm in a different country, maybe a different state though, because of the lack of members. I'm getting used to the dirty looks and avoidance of eye contact! So that's good I guess! So my companion and I are "white washing" our area, which means we are both new to the area, we know absolutely no one, don't know our way around... nothing. So that's cool! Also, it was always elders before us, and they're not the best at keeping records of investigators/former investigators. Such a pain. We spend our days going to houses of less actives, and former investigators from the elders. It's pretty hard to find people who want to take lessons! We haven't found anyone YET. But we are doing the best we can! 

Oh! On Sunday at church there was a black guy who went up and bore his testimony, but it was pretty obvious that he wasn't a member because he didn't say "in the name of Jesus Christ Amen," and he sorta worded things in different ways. But he was so spiritual and so excited about the gospel! So my companion and I walked up to him and shook his hand after sacrament meeting. I told him we really enjoyed his testimony, asked him his name, and asked if he was in the ward. He said "no, I am not a part of this church, but I can feel that this is the right place for me to be right now and I am very persuaded by this church." he went on and talked about Jesus or something like that. He's from Ghana I believe, and English is not his first language. ANYWAYS, I asked him if he would like to learn more about the church, and told him that we were teachers for people who wanted to learn more. he said "yes, yes, i would love to learn more!" So I got his information and we are hoping and praying that this one will work out!

Something that stinks is sister hatch and I are sharing a car with some elders in another area. so they have it sunday, monday, tuesday, and we have it for the rest of the week. So yeah, I'm learning how to work the bus system, and how to walk long distances. I now have some lovely blisters and from yesterday! We must have walked at least 10 miles. Ugh. The pain. Also, on Sunday we lost our phone!! We think the last place we had it was at the bus stop, but we searched there and our apartment, and it is no where to be found. :( So we'll get a new one on Wednesday! But since Sunday afternoon, we've been without a car and a phone! It makes things very difficult. However, on Wednesday we will be getting our car back, a phone and Ipads!! It's going to make our lives much much easier.

I'm really hoping that we are able to find more people who want to be taught! This is a very slow process, and it can get very discouraging when are numbers are zeroes at the end of the day. However, D&C 68:6 is what's been keeping us going!

 Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come.

I miss the utah bubble!! This place is so crazy!! Like... it's great, but it's crazy.

So we were going around knocking on doors of former investigators (oh, we're whitewashing the area too, so that's rough) and we knocked on this door and a woman answered who seemed a bit confused, but then her especially special daughter walked up to the door behind her and as soon as she saw us she sort of squealed and bowed down to us!! It was the funniest thing!! Sister Hatch said she thinks they were on some sort of drugs, but I can't tell the difference between mentally ill and drugged up. Either way they were super weird.

Haha it doesn't feel like I'm in a different country. Like at all. It feels just like the ghetto of utah! And people are NOT nice!! The members are great, but the normal humans without any knowledge of Christ are uhh... rude. to say the least. I've gotten doors slammed in my face, that is... if they answer their doors. Haha. This one time, we knocked on a door and it had a glass window so you could see right inside! And we see this woman come up... she folded her arms and stared at us for a little while... so we waved awkwardly... and then she locked the door and went back to folding her arms and staring at us! My companion and I just walked away and laughed it off. But Cedar City peeps are by far the nicest people I've ever met! I miss cedar so much!! 

Allow me to tell you a little story about Brian! Sister Hatch and I were going to contact a referral, but she wasn't home. So we were left with nothing to do, but maybe tracting? Which isn't the best idea in the book. So we were walking back to our car, and we saw this man washing his car. I was like okay... we should talk to him. We waved at him and he smiled and waved back, which is very uncommon! So we walked on up to him! Small talk at first, but then he just started talking about how he's no christian man, because he smokes and drinks, and doesn't go to church. But he said he believes in Christ and God and he is a single father so he tries to be good to his children and he just kept talking and talking! Sister hatch and I didn't even bring up the topic of religion! But he started saying things like "where do we go when we die? no one knows for sure, eh? How do we know what the right things to do are all the time? no one knows for sure, eh?" Anyways, he kept saying things like that. And then I remembered that as we were walking out of our apartment that day i felt like I should go grab a plan of salvation pamphlet! So I was like BINGO! Yes!! And we ended up giving that to him and a book of mormon :) he looked at it and was like "Book of.... Whatever" haha. it was funny. We're not sure if we'll see any success with him, but we will definitely check up on him this week!

Anyways, I love you and I hope everything at home is going well! Tell me all about your week :) I love you!!
Sista Robinson

1 comment:

  1. I love your updates Abbie! So glad you are doing so well! So proud of you and all you are doing! Keep up the good work! Looking forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete